HOME » TOP(英語) » Information for Life » Information for life » Housing




■For International Students
Student housing varies between universities. You can also search for private housing through your school’s coop. Contact your school’s international office for more information.

●Housing search site for international residents (Japanese, English, Chinese, Korean, Spanish)
Kyoto City International Community House’s House navi: http://house.kcif.or.jp/ 
●Kyoto Housing Search for International Students : https://www.housingsearch.kyoto/
●Mukaijima Student Center  http://www.kyoto-jkosha.or.jp/center/about.html
●Kyoto International Student House : http://hdbkyoto.jp/


UR (Urban Renaissance Agency) offers public housing that doesn’t require a guarantor 
Most of the time when one rents housing in Japan, a co-signing guarantor is needed. A co-signing guarantor is someone who pledges to pay the rent in your stead should you become unable to pay yourself. UR housing does not require a guarantor.

Prerequisites for application for foreigners (in addition to the conditions for Japanese applicants):
1: Permanent resident or special permanent resident, OR
2: Have a Status of Residence, be properly registered as an alien, and fully understand the contents of the housing contract.
http://www.ur-net.go.jp/tebiki/a-license.html (Japanese)

For more information
Urban Renaissance Agency Kyoto Operations Center
TEL        075-255-0499
Address: Kyoto City, Nakagyo-ku, Karasuma Oike –sagaru, Torayamachi 566-1 
Imon meijiyasuda seimei bldg 1F

Municipally- and Prefecturally-run Housing (low-rent public housing)
This housing is cheaper than private housing and is offered to those of low income. International residents may apply, too, if they meet the requirements.
Go to this site for Kyoto Public Housing information or a list of prefectural housing 
Go to this site for municipally-run housing and contact information. 。
http://www.pref.kyoto.jp/jutaku/r-sityouson.html (Japanese)

Things to be aware of when moving into an apartment
A security deposit (shikikin) is money towards any damages that are not done in the normal course of living. Deposit money can be recouped when leaving the apartment contract. However, the amount recouped may be reduced depending on if you are assessed responsibility for any damages. Because of this, when you first enter an apartment, you should tell your real estate agent about any preexisting damages as well as take dated pictures of those damages.

Public Services

Osaka Gas  Keiji living sales division
For questions or inquiries about starting or stopping your gas service, gas bills, repairs, construction, or anything else gas-related:
TEL        0120-8-94817
Times:   Monday to Saturday, 9:00-19:00; Sundays and holidays, 9:00-17:00
More details at:   http://home.osakagas.co.jp/info/03-center.html (Japanese)
    http://www.osakagas.co.jp/en/index.html (English)

Contact your regional water bureau or municipal water department about starting and stopping water service. Be sure to tell them your address, name, and the date you moved. Inquire about the method of payment.
If you are in a condominium or apartment where you pay for water as part of a common-area charge, there is no need to call the water bureau.

→  Kyoto City http://www.city.kyoto.lg.jp/suido/index.html (Japanese, English, Chinese, Korean)
Links to the water bureau’s of prefectural municipalities (Kyoto Prefecture and municipalities portal site)
http://g-kyoto.pref.kyoto.lg.jp/kyoto/common/contents/html/suido.html Japanese

Kansai Electric Power Company
Contact KEPCO in order to start or stop electricity service.
Kyoto Call Center TEL 075-491-114

You can also apply for starting or stopping electricity service at the following site.http://www.kepco.co.jp/service/move/index.html

Search for operation centers near your home (Kyoto, Fushimi, Fukuchiyama, Maizuru, Miyazu, Mineyama)

When Moving

CLAIR http://www.clair.or.jp/tagengorev/en/m/06-1.html

Dealing with large rubbish (futon, furniture, etc.) when moving:
Fees and procedures for dealing with large rubbish vary between municipalities. Ask your local municipal office for details. Also, many municipalities publish explanation guides in several languages.

・Kyoto City
http://www.city.kyoto.lg.jp/kankyo/page/0000065614.html (Korean, English, Chinese)
http://www.city.kyoto.lg.jp/kankyo/cmsfiles/contents/0000065/65614/eigo.pdf (English PDF)

・Uji City
http://www.city.uji.kyoto.jp/cmsfiles/contents/0000000/725/tyuugokugo.pdf  Chinese
http://www.city.uji.kyoto.jp/cmsfiles/contents/0000000/725/eigo.pdf English

・Kameoka City
http://www.city.kameoka.kyoto.jp/kokusaikouryuu/foreign/english/foreign/trash.html English

・Kyotanabe City
http://www.kyotanabe.jp/0000003016.html  English

・Kyotango City
http://www.city.kyotango.kyoto.jp/englishversion/index.html English

・Seika Town
http://www-e.town.seika.kyoto.jp/htmls_img/2009ごみ収集日程表.英訳版.pdf English
Living Guide

・Yosano Town
http://www.town.yosano.lg.jp/contents/english/img/GUIDELINES.pdf English


Kyoto Prefectural International Center
3F East Bldg. Kyoto Terrsa,70 Higashikujo shimotonoda-cho,Minami-ku,Kyoto
Open / 10:00-18:00
Closed /Tuesdays, National holidays, 12/29-1/3
TEL : 075-681-2500 / FAX : 075-681-2508